Assistant Professor - Journalism
CoMC Dept of JCMI
Contributes to the university's mission through teaching, research and service, some variation by academic unit.
The Department of Journalism & Creative Media Industries within the College of Media & Communication at Texas Tech University is looking for an Assistant Professor of Journalism with a research and teaching focus on current and emerging forms of journalism. Areas of scholarly interest rest at the intersection of journalism and technology. Possible areas of teaching interest include but are not limited to data journalism, AI journalism, journalism and social media, podcasting, or multimedia journalism. Professional experience with reporting a variety of beats - including but not limited to government, business, or sports - is welcome.
This opportunity is for a full-time tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor, and both early career scholars as well as those at the advanced Assistant Professor stage are encouraged to apply. Candidates with a completed Ph.D. degree and teaching experience are preferred, but advanced ABDs with strong potential for scholarly productivity and effective teaching will be considered. The anticipated start date is September 1, 2024, with faculty expected on-duty in mid-August 2024, although opportunities for an earlier start may be available.
Successful candidates will advise and mentor highly motivated masters and doctoral students, engage in governance, and perform service at the department, college, university, and professional levels. Service duties include program-building, as well as commitment to engaged scholarship. Service to the department, college, and university is expected. The standard teaching load is four courses per academic year, typically a 2-2 load, with opportunities to teach in summer for additional compensation, if desired. Candidates must be able to teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses in the Department of Journalism & Creative Media Industries related to their research and/or professional expertise.
Ph.D. in a communication-related field. Demonstrated record of effectiveness as a teacher, a record of peer reviewed publication and/or peer-reviewed creative activity which has contributed to the discipline or field of study, to the candidates intellectual and artistic development, and to the quality of the academic enterprise; a record of professional service appropriate to the discipline; promise of growth in teaching and research or artistic and creative activity.
- Record of active research productivity that explores issues at the intersection of journalism and technology.
- Candidates who have very strong records of scholarship supported by extramural funding and who have the proven capacity or clear potential to bring externally sponsored research to Texas Tech University are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated record of teaching excellence in the area of journalism.
- Teaching experience focused on the italicized areas above is highly desired.
- Candidates with demonstrated professional experience in journalism are preferred.
- Technical knowledge in the field of AI (Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Algorithm development, Open AI)
- Experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable.
- Experience mentoring and/or collaborating with undergraduate and/or graduate students is highly desirable.
- Candidates must be eligible to work as a tenure-track assistant professor in the United States at the time of appointment.
To apply, visit workattexastech.com
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-ead6d94f36f35f4a8df733d2593130c6